Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter Scrooge

I hate Easter.

I hate Easter grass, Easter baskets, Easter eggs, Easter bunnies, hot cross buns, and I really hate Easter ham.

I have no idea why I hate Easter, but I don't think I ever did until I moved to Florida. This probably means I hate Easter because I don't get to see my family or my friends. Everyone down here is too busy with their own family and friends to invite John and I over for some nasty Easter ham.

Last year, John and I successfully avoided Easter by traveling to Key West. Best non-Easter ever!

I think John knows how much I hate Easter, and that I get really homesick around this time, so I believe he's trying to form our own traditions (that do NOT involve ham or hard boiled eggs). This morning, he surprised me by waking up at 7:30 and driving to Dunkin' Donuts for some breakfast. The bad part is he told me to wake up and make coffee so that it was ready upon his return, leaving me with only eight hours of sleep. Nazi husband.

Anyway, it has been a nice Easter Sunday so far, thanks to John breaking our normal Sunday routine and splurging on some donuts.

Soon it will be time to head to his grandparents for a smashing good time with ham, sweet potatoes and, most likely, some really great cake laced with repulsive imitation fruit filling.

I hate Easter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just firgured that you should get back into a more normal sleep routine before school next week by only get 8 hours rather then 9-10 plus a 2 hour nap like the last couple days.

What I don't like is that everyone who could careless about church all decide that they need to go this weekend and those of us who attend regularly no longer have a place to park or any room to sit because all the Easter and Christmas attender overwealm the church (Lucky we go on Sat. night now)

John

Jeff of course said...

I hate "Easter". I love Easter. It is my least favorite holiday as far as decorations, but they have nothing to do with what I am really thankful for. I wouldn't mind celebrating Easter everyday.

Amanda said...

I think that's just the thing. EASTER is just a big fertility celebration. And it hasn't really changed, and I already know and appreciate that Jesus rose on the third day. So let's eat ham. It doesn't make any sense. Christmas lights and presents make a whole lot more sense to me. Even Santa. But the Easter Bunny? Puh-leez.

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
You said "Nazi husband" and that is hilarious. :)
Also, I started going to this new church, and it took me a while to figure it out, but they don't call Easter Easter. They call it Resurrection Sunday. At first it sort of bugged me, but now it has really grown on me because it keeps the focus on our risen Lord instead of the eggs, bunnies, chocolate, and fake grass.
Miss you...

~Veronica

Jeff of course said...

But VERONICA...WE all love fake grass!!!

Amanda said...

By the way, the cake was a marble cake with LEMON inside of it.

OH MY RISEN JESUS AND LORD! HELP ME!

Veronica Balogh said...

Jeff,
I'll admit it- I am partial to the chocolate... the fake grass doesn't taste as good and gets stuck in my teeth. ;)