There are two reasons I know I am human, two reasons I know God is still sanctifying me, two reasons I know I am a member of a fallen race and am in desperate need of Jesus, two reasons I should NOT be a seminary wife and two reasons why my husband and I should be kicked straight outta the Southern Baptist denomination. The good news is that He has saved me. It is finished! And though I am fallen and still despicable, God loves me. Two reasons, two ways He reminds me I need him.
1. I love the Twilight series.
2. I really *kind of* liked Avatar.
I honestly know ALL the reasons why these two things are totally worldly and sinful. There was even a chapel service at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (John's school) basically covering why Avatar is so dangerous for our culture. I told John we shouldn't watch that movie. I told him we shouldn't watch it because I knew I might like it. I was even reading Scripture out loud as the movie began. I know--I'm somewhat turning into a nun maybe? But I still kind of loved it.
Twilight, Avatar, Harry Potter...I just love make believe worlds and species. All the creativity that goes into these fictional characters and places. I am in awe of how writers think of these things. And true, I don't like a lot of things about Twilight, Avatar, and Harry Potter. I GET why parents keep their kids away. I mean, could Bella Swan be more obsessive and annoying? Would I let my teenage daughter read those books? No. Would I run out to buy one of my school age children a Harry Potter magic kit, complete with an invisibility cloak? No (and no way would John ever let Maryn read Harry Potter, lol). And honestly, I don't think I'd recommend Avatar to anyone, but for ME (me!) it's okay because I Like It A Lot. But when it comes down to it, I probably just should NOT have read those books in the first place, or watched that movie. But I did. :-p
So don't judge too harshly here, because I'm just being honest with you. And maybe some of you more sanctified people can counsel me out of my sinful ways.
OR we could secretly hide out one night and watch New Moon since I've only seen it twice. I won't tell anyone if you won't tell anyone. ;-)
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Haha, your funny. I have ZERO interest in those kind of books and movies. So, they are totally not a temptation for me. They would actually probably scare me more than anything.
You've read The Chronicles of Narnia, right? I loved those (especially A Horse and His Boy and Voyage of Dawn Treader). And....Screwtape letters?
Have you tried reading any Frank Peretti?
Those are my recommendations, but I don't think they quite compare?!?! I don't know.
I have no idea what Avatar is, but I doubt it can be that big of a deal.
As you can tell, I kind of run in the opposite direction of chapel service warnings. It's something I'm working on. Well... something I probably SHOULD be working on.
:)
Amanda, I found this commentary to be very interesting. I love the Harry Potter for the exact reasons you do, the imagination behind the story. What I think is important is that even though we may read them and enjoy the fantasy part of the literature, it is just that, fantasy and literature. I personally do not think of this as a sinful action. As long as we know the Word, live the Word, and work for the Word.--Kari
Post a Comment