I've also been praying that the back room team leader at John's store would quit or transfer. I know that sounds like a bad thing to pray, but it's a long story. Guess what? Today she quit. So please, please for the love of all things good and pleasant, PLEASE PRAY FOR US and that John gets that job. Because John has been mysteriously rejected a lot lately and he is so. He is so. He is soooo qualified.
So I guess I'll spill the beans. I've been holding out on you all for a while now. Things have been wonderful here, but things have been pretty bad, too. It is really hard to go from living comfortably to having billing departments call you 26 times every day. John and I know that "the borrower is slave to the lender." We thought that when we were living in Naples that we were faithful stewards. We tried to meet every month to discuss and pray over our budget. We tried to live that "wartime lifestyle" John Piper is always talking about. But we didn't know anything about wartime. We didn't save enough. We didn't plan well. We were frivolous and wasteful. We paid off incredible amounts of debt, and a debt-free lifestyle was well within sight. But everything fell apart, and now we're not living paycheck to paycheck. We're living credit card to credit card with minimum payments we can't even pay and we're driving a car that was about to be repossessed.
Why am I telling you all this? I guess to share with you that poverty can happen to anyone and it sucks. Those people call us, and every time the phone rings I feel guilty. They want their money--their money that is rightfully THEIRS. It wasn't my money to spend. But I can't even answer the phone because I have nothing to give them. Nothing.
AND I feel guilty because we haven't made the sacrifices we should have. We still have a ton (a ton) of luxuries. So maybe I ate ramen noodles twice last week (I did) and macaroni and cheese 4 times (I did). I still get to watch cable television and I get to use the internet. Although I should just cancel my phone service cuz everyone knows that doesn't work.
But, now it finally looks like we may be catching a break. And maybe we'll be able to continue this wartime lifestyle so that we can pay those we owe and starting living our lives a little more intelligently.
I am continually grateful for our health--none of us have been sick AT ALL. No allergies, nothing. For Bethany, Betsy and Corrie for introducing me to Shaklee, which I know must be one of the reasons we are so healthy. And I am so grateful for my Naples friends teaching me how to coupon effectively. For the people I babysat for in Naples that gave me excellent references. For the family I'm babysitting for now and their wonderful free chiropractic care (yeehaw!). For the fall weather and the air that tastes like home. And I am so grateful to all my family and friends who love me anyway. You all know who you are and there's no way I could have been strong at all through this without you.
And...for my sweet husband, who has been through more humbling experiences than any man of his ability should ever have to endure. For our marriage and those that helped us to make it strong (our pre-marital counselors, our marriage retreat, our BLG friends). We surely would have had it with each other if it wasn't for the grace, patience and communication skills God gave us through you and your ministries.
And...God, of course. That he has answered my prayers. That he has answered my prayer to improve my prayer life (what a way to do that, God. Thanks...I think). That he puts us through valleys to make us more like Christ.
And...for this sweet angel face. My baby girl.
11 comments:
Don't be too hard on yourself. Believe me, Glen and I have been through some reeeallly bad times financially. You just take it day by day and you too will make it through this time. Nothing wrong with macaroni and cheese. We had it for lunch today. One thing you have that we didn't; that sweet little girl. Whenever life gets you down, just look at her and all will be right with your world.
Amanda, can you e-mail me your mailing address?
Blake
Hey sweet girl! Im praying for you guys! We have been there, I assure you. You are amazing!
I feel you, it sucks! Brian and I both work and have good jobs but it's still a stuggle sometimes.
I hope the Jon gets that job!
I know exactly where you are coming from Amanda. We have had sooooo many years of struggling paycheck to paycheck and it isn't easy. I have to say I really don't stress too much about all the money crap. I always look at it as...I have soooo much more than my mom ever had, I look around my house and see so many things we take for granted. We still have so many calls a day from creditors from our business that we haven't even had for almost 7 years now. But we have each other and 10 years ago we were struggling and 10 years from now we will probably still be struggling, but we have each other and our boys and I'm not going to die or anything just because these people keep calling and because we owe money. Just try to love and appreciate each other and those around you and smile each day. Look in your mirror and smile at yourself each day and say "Today is gonna be a great day"! It doesn't cost anything to smile! Share your love and smiles with others to help brighten their days too! Praying for John and his job and hope you guys know that we are always here for you! Love ya and God Bless!
We are praying for you! I am so thankful that GOd is using this and revealing all of this to you. We will pray that, if it is God's will, that John will get that job!
You know when you share people know better how to pray for you!
And I am praying for you!
Thank you for praying for my family!
Jen
Amanda,
Can you please send me your address and Lindsay's too. I have a change of address to send all of you and don't have your most current information. Thanks for your help!--Kari
It is a very scary thing, but I know (KNOW) that you will make it out of this. At one point in my early 20s I had NINE CENTS in my bank account...not even a dime! Like you said, it was from not realizing that what I want and what I need are very disparate things. Then in my late-20s I married a man that gave me more financial security than I ever could have dreamed. But money is just that: paper and coins. It doesn't take the place of love, which YOU have in spades. Now I'm leaving that security and going to be paying two "rents" on top of bills on top of bills. But it's worth it. We are all on a constant ocean: sometimes we rise up on a wave and have everything money can buy, and other times we've sunk low. But neither ever lasts. You have a strong "boat," Amanda, so those waves will never push you off.
Faith.... Autumnday great analogy!
go to www.coupons.com
kari
Post a Comment