I've been trying to read as many books as possible lately in order to be inspired to write something, in hopes that I'll be the next out of nowhere genius author. Though the reading does get my mind turning, I think my main problem is that I'm not depressed enough to write anything good. My best writing period ever came and went sophomore year of high school, when I was a depressed teenager somewhere between an agnostic and an atheist. And since then I have been too happy to write anything good, and feel guilty when I write anything that isn't positive.
Obviously I would never want to stir up sadness or anything negative in anyone. My conscience simply can't deal with that, so I thought about writing under a pseudonym, maybe even taking on a whole different personality for a few weeks. I have a feeling God wouldn't be down with that, and the consequences of disobedience to God, I've learned, are not worth the meager earnings I would gain even if I did come up with something good enough for the clearance rack.
So I'm stuck hoping for a gift like C.S. Lewis instead of J.K. Rowling. Not holding my breath for that one.
Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You always tell me to write more. Does this mean you think I am depressed?
What?
And I quote: "Though the reading does get my mind turning, I think my main problem is that I'm not depressed enough to write anything good."
No, that's just me, Jeff.
Post a Comment