Sunday, March 11, 2007

When I was sixteen...

Daylight savings time began today, as you are all keenly aware. I slept until the new 9:30 am and my eyelids are now stuck open at the new 10:30 pm. So I thought I'd do what I do best when I should be sleeping but can't: write about all the crazy things I'm thinking.

I am so sad today.

You see, I became a Christian at the age of sixteen. That means I finally realized, after being such a complete moron for so long, that I was imperfect. That no matter what I did, I deserved hell and nothing more. But a few very wise adults and even wiser teenagers helped me understand that I didn't have to carry the weight of my sin on my shoulders. In fact, my sin was the whole reason Jesus died. So to deny him any longer was crazy, selfish, and well, just pretty stupid. I accepted Christ as my Savior while driving home from a spirit-filled sermon by Clancy Cruise. I don't recommend getting saved while driving at 16. Pull over first. :) Well, especially if you're as bad a driver as I was.

Anyway, the reason I'm sad. After accepting Christ, all I wanted to do was learn more about him. In fact, not too much time in my life has passed without motivation to learn more about him or grow closer to him. So why do most of the girls in my youth group completely lack that desire? They say they've been learning "this stuff since kindergarten." They've grown up in a Christian school, in Christian homes, in a Bible teaching church.

They say, "We don't want to do lessons anymore in Bible and Life (Sunday School) Groups." Why?

They say, "I used to like you, Amanda." Because I've started to hold them more accountable for their actions (for example, "Um...do you think it's okay to say, 'That's so gay,' all the time?" or to demand respect while an adult is speaking).

"But we just want to have fun, Amanda."
"But that's just our culture, Amanda."

A year ago, I may have taken these comments personally, but I know that someone else is taking them personally. It's certainly not an attack on me. It breaks my heart, God. Forgive them, for they know not what they do...or do they? Haven't they been learning that since kindergarten?

I need some encouragement. I need some prayer. Desperately.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad. Maybe that mission trip will help them. They need a major wake up call. I know you will find a way to get to them. Have you told them your story. That should do it!! I will be praying for them.

Anonymous said...

You should google Pastor Cruise and email him about your challenge. I am sure he has a lot of experience in this area. He should be able to give you a few tips. Knowing him he may even want to come down there and give them a good talking to.

Jeff of course said...

When people use phrases like "That's so gay" or "That's retarded" it sometimes shows a lack of judgement, and it shows a lax attitude towards human beings. This generally means they are human, and they are selfish. Knowing we are all human and just as undeserving as they are, helps to deal with comments like "You used to be fun" or whatever lame excuse people have for not wanting to face reality. Just because you don't use those phrases doesn't mean you aren't fun, but it may mean you have changed. And I think in this case the change is for the better.

Amanda said...

Thanks Jeff and Mommy! That means so much coming from you two.