Sunday, August 27, 2006

It's easy to tell hurricane season.

Beautiful sunsets. Weather forecasts by streets instead of counties. "It's raining on Collier Blvd now. Residents on Livingston Road are experiencing sunny skies (they're about three miles apart)! Torrential rains at 4:00 pm, over and dried by the 95 degree rays just in time for dinner. Palm trees slowly waving goodbye to the orange-red sun as it sets on another day. Those same palm trees have been striving all year to recover from Hurricane Wilma last October. They're in the prime now, leaves looking postcard perfect. Soon, their hard work will be destroyed.

Our first big hurricane is now on its way. Who knows how strong it will be and where it will go for certain, but one can bet their thousand dollar roll-away storm shutters that before November, those palm trees will be reduced to amputatees with very bad hair cuts.

It's easy to tell hurricane season in Collier County. This county is known for overwhelming its teachers. So I'm just praying for a mild hurricane that will down some power lines and do just enough damage to cancel school for a few days. I don't want anyone to get hurt or to have to spend a lot of money. I just want a vacation!

This week, John and I will probably be cleaning out our coolers (sitting outside since Hurricane Wilma), deciding if we should evacuate (we won't), and possibly purchasing some new candles (yay!) and maybe even some cool camping gear. Sweet. I'm always up for spending some money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jordan and Sara want to fly down again to be there for another hurricane. Most people evacuate but not us, we try to get there before the storm hits. Sorry, not this time. Not after I just say the plane crash in Kentucky yesterday. I was thinking of letting Sara come down for a week or so in the summer but there is no way I would let her fly by herself. I might just have to come with her.