Saturday, March 25, 2006

Dude. Our cat is lazy. She has grown lazier and lazier with each week of her little life.

Did you know that male lions sleep 20 hours per day?

Rosa is shedding (our snake just shed his skin, too, actually). We've decided that all the furniture in our house should match Rosa's fur, just to make our house look a bit less, um...cattified.

I am beginning my summer reading list. I need suggestions. I think I need some more "new" books. I'm sort of in a slump, trying desperately to make up for all the novels that I did not read in high school (because I went to Orrville) or college (because I was busy in my education classes, many of which were pretty worthless). So, I want books that are GOOD. Like really, really good. I don't want any books written by authors that have a new book every month.

Maybe I should join a book club. I think I like to keep books and people separate. I don't think I really want others' opinions of the books I read. I like to just savor my own point of view of books, I think. Unless the people in my book club were definitely cooler and smarter than me; then I'd respect what they have to say. Which there are a lot of people smarter than me, but I think most people that are smarter than me don't have time for things like book clubs.

I would like being in a book club with Veronica and Alison. And my Aunt Vicky and Autumn. Cathy and Mom, I don't know about you guys. You read some pretty weird stuff. I know my Mom would hate most of the books I read and it would make me feel negatively towards my books. And Cathy, you read some freaky stuff. I'd have nightmares.

I had a nightmare lastnight that I was in a concentration camp. I was going to be sentenced to death by electric chair, but I escaped with a middle-eastern girl named Marta and a black kid named Jose. We were all about 14 in my dream. And I think my name was Octavia.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to be in a book club with you too. :)
The last book I read was "My War: Killing Time in Iraq" by Colby Buzzell. Colby blogged while he was deployed to Iraq, and he was just kind of a different person to begin with, so it was really interesting.
The next book I plan on reading is "Kite Runner" by Khalid Hosseini. It is about a boy who leaves Afghanistan right before the Soviet takeover, and what happens to the friend that remains in the country during the reign of the Taliban. It is supposed to be really good- NY Times Bestseller. Have you read that one yet?

-V

Amanda said...

No, but I know a lot of people that have read Kite Runner. I don't really read books during the regular school year because I get so hooked on them. I lose sleep, I ignore John, etc. Hahaha :)

I will definitely put both of those on my summer reading list!

Amanda said...

It's really stupid of me that I've kind of avoided these books about the middle east that have come out recently. I guess I'm the typical American that enjoys being ignorant of what's happening.

Dave Chappelle inspired me the other night when he said we avoid talking about "the elephant in the living room." He was referring to racism, but it's so true about so many issues.

If we could just be open and discuss, share our views, put away our fears of appearing ignorant...maybe we would all feel a little more secure and knowledgeable.

Anonymous said...

I don't see what is wrong with the books I read. I don't like to get into that sad stuff. I want something light and funny or romantic. I read for enjoyment not to expand my knowledge. I already know enough:)

Alison said...

Ooh a book club! There's got to be some way to make that work! :)

I wanted to read Kite Runner too - V's and my AP English teacher was telling me about it a few weeks ago...

I'm also trying to catch up on books I missed in high school/college... I'm starting with Lord of the Flies- a real pick me up. :)

Anonymous said...

I have the same opinion about book clubs. Books are...private, somehow.

I'm still working my way through Donna Tartt's 'The Little Friend' and it's fabulous. Also, for a little rock and grunge and love and death, Tiffanie DeBartolo's books ('God-Shaped Hole' and 'How to Kill a Rock Star') are unmatched. When I finished her second book I actually E-MAILED her.

Other than that, I've only had time to read about library stuff and industry trends. *sigh*

Try an elctro-static rubber brush for the cat hair. It sweeps it into little piles that you can suck up with a vaccuum. We have an eggplant-colored couch and two cats. I am a pro at hair elimination.

-Autumn

Amanda said...

Yeah! I got one of those cat hair brush things and it totally works. Thank goodness, because we don't have a vacuum cleaner (no carpet).

I have never been in a book club, so I don't know if I'd like it or not. But I do think I'm very private about my books. At least in my college English classes, I always felt that I was the odd one out. I always loved what everyone else hated and vice versa. My Contemporary Brit. Lit. class is a PRIME example.

Disliked Trainspotting and White Teeth (by Zadie Smith), but LOVED Possession (by...?) and The Rachel Papers (Martin Amis).

In other classes, LOVED Turn of the Screw by Henry James (my favorite book ever), HATED Ishmael. REALLY enjoyed A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (James Joyce, anything James Joyce, really).

I think I'm seeing a trend. I like books that sink into the mind of one character, and make me realize...maybe I'm not the only crazy one in the world :)

But all the books I really like are OLD!

Crystal said...

Roots