Thursday, September 02, 2010

If Men Would be Men


The afternoon after our first date, John called me. It was about 1:00 pm, which was still morning in my college mind. What in the world was he calling me for already? I figured he must be really bored. It was Easter break, all his suite mates were probably home for the weekend, and he must be bored out of his mind to be calling me.

In fact, I thought, he probably has some secret scheme to take me over and throw me out like yesterday's trash.

These behaviors continued for months. John kept calling. I kept expecting him to take advantage of my weak, disabled emotional state. But he didn't take advantage and I slowly (very slowly) started to realize...

...um, maybe he likes me?

Or maybe he has really, super low self-esteem and just can't find any other girls to hang out with him?

Or maybe he likes me?

Honestly, his pursuit of me and his sweet, enduring patience with me never seemed real. It still doesn't seem real. On our wedding day, we stood on the beach holding hands. I looked out at the ocean as the pastor went over the covenant we were about to make and I thought,

"What am I doing here? How did this happen? Am I ready for this?"

And I looked down at those strong, patient and enduring hands that held on to mine and knew that yes, this was right.



Read another good story here: Power in the Echo

No comments: